Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Christmas Tree Angel

Hello everyone! I can't believe how much time has flown by--Halloween is over and its on to Christmas already! I hope you all had a wonderful Halloween-we kept it pretty low-key, we just stayed in and watched a couple of movies that night.

Here is my first holiday painting, "Christmas Tree Angel." She is painted in acrylics on a 5"x7" stretched canvas and is available here. I also added some mica flakes to her wings and the stars for some extra sparkle :)

Here is another painting which I actually listed in my shop last week. I decided to do one more Day of the Dead painting to put in my shop. This one is called "Remembrance" and is painted on an 8"x10" canvas. It is available here.

My dad was in town visiting on Halloween so he took me and Daniel to see the Titanic exhibition. It was amazing and very moving. I loved seeing all of the artifacts recovered from the ship, and you got to read a lot of different stories about the passengers. I would highly recommend it if you get the chance to go. Daniel and I couldn't resist each getting a replica 2nd-Class teacup from the gift shop (they were out of the 1st-Class ones, and I actually liked these better anyway).


See how they even say "White Star Line" on them? So cool!



We also went to the All Souls Procession this weekend with my family which was incredible. It is an event inspired by Dia de los Muertos, which includes a procession through downtown Tucson (many people dress up and put makeup on their faces to look like skulls) and a final burning of a huge urn containing people's mementos, thoughts and offerings to departed loved ones. I will have photos for the next post--almost none of mine came out so I will have to swipe some from my sister who is a much better photographer :)

I hope you are all having a great week and I'll see you soon!



8 comments:

  1. Wow I would love to see a Titanic exhibition, it's so great that you got to go to that, looks like you had a good time.
    I love these paintings too by the way, the colours of the first one are beautiful and does indeed remind me of Christmas instantly. Plus I love her long flowing hair sweeping gently with the wind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, the Christmas picture is charming and I absolutely love that you decorate the edges! What a beautiful touch.

    Also, I adore your Day of the Dead piece. Your work is so sweet and cute so the skulls really make you look twice! It reminds me a bit of Mark Ryden's work - it has elements of being adorable, but also deeper, mysterious parts that make you think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. as usual i adore your christmas angel! and the dia de los muertos is beautiful too! love the titanic cup and saucer! the exhibit sounds fascinating! big huggs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. your girls are lovely! your day of the dead one is wicked cool!
    Day of the Dead must be more of an American thing, I don't think I've ever heard it even mentioned here in Canada. The procession you went to must have been a sight to see!
    As well as the titanic exhibition...fun stuff!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what a lovely Christmas Angel! I love her sparkling wings. :) And your new Day of the Dead Painting is amazing, as well. Great work! Love your little adorable tea cup - that must have been an interesting exhibition. Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the soft calming look on the angel's face :D Fit the christmas theme perfectly! And I adore the delicate little teacup. Simply darling but with magnificent details~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a stunning angel! I love the spread of white...and sparkles?? Oh, too cute! :)

    I hope you're having fine days, Lauren!

    Hugs! oxox

    ReplyDelete
  8. ~i l♥ve her glittering wings...adn the contrast of her dark hair against her soft little face...she is so pretty...i am happy you had a wonderful time and can't waitto see your pictures...much l♥ve nad light upon you always~

    ReplyDelete