Sunday, August 22, 2010

Sunday Sketch-Daphne

Hello everyone! Here is my Sunday Sketch, "Daphne." Daphne comes from a story in Ovid's Metamorphoses. Daphne is the daughter of a river god. The god Apollo falls in love with her (after he makes fun of Cupid and Cupid shoots him with one of his arrows), but she wants nothing to do with him. He begins chasing her, and as she runs she begs her father to change her form. He turns her into a tree and "her soft white bosom was ringed in a layer of bark, her hair was turned into foliage, her arms into branches." You may notice that her face looks a little different than my usual ones, I am just experimenting a bit :) I kind of like the way it came out, what do you think? Make sure to take a look at all of the other wonderful sketches over at Sophia's blog, Blue Chair Diary.

I also wanted to show you a lovely little commission I got this week from our own Sunday Sketcher, Heather over at Rose Hill Designs. She asked me to paint two little boxes depicting her daughters. I was so honored to get a commission from an artist I admire so much! Thank you so much Heather, I had so much fun painting them! :) These two little ladies will be on their way tomorrow.




I am not feeling too well today, so I am just going to try to relax and take it easy. Always easier said than done though! :) I hope everyone is having a wonderful Sunday!


10 comments:

  1. Sweet Lauren! What beautiful art you have been making! Your newest painting are so enchanting and I just adore these boxes! Thank you so much for your visit...how I have missed seeing your lovely work! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lauren,
    Daphne is just GORGEOUS. Beautiful depiction of the story. I like what you've done with her...and I know with COLOR she is going to be an amazing piece.
    I am so excited about my boxes!!!Thank you!!!Aren't they the cutest????
    Lauren, I love your characters so VERY much! They are all so full of magic. I am really drawn to them!
    feel better! take it easy
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!! Daphne is my absolute favorite so far! She is really amazing Lauren, I love the whole story behind her. the mouth is really great too - its fun to experiment isn't it.

    Heather's boxes turned out really cute! How fun for her girls.

    I really enjoy sharing Sunday sketches with talented artists like you. Thanks for stopping by and sharing Sundays with me too.

    Smiles

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think she is wonderful, and I want to see her in color. Love the new boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your Daphne, she is wonderful, the leaves in her hair are enchanting. Lovely face too!

    How wonderful to get a commission, I can only imagine that they will love their boxes and treasure them always.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is absolutely my most favorite sketch of yours. I am in love with trees and think they are just gorgeous and haunting at the same time.
    She is wonderful. I cannot wait for the completed project.
    Headed to the shop immediately when done.
    Thank you for sharing,
    Wendy from Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  7. how beautiful she is!!!! i love her dress! and her face is...perfect!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lauren,

    Daphne has to TOTALLY be my favourite of yours so far. LOVE LOVE her. :)

    And what adorable little boxes. Heather's little girls will LOVE them. :)

    Hope you feel better soon! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lauren, Daphne is beautiful!!! Can't wait to see her painted and those boxes are just so gorgeous! Hope you feel better very soon take care x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a little behind on my blog reading, but I hope this note finds you feeling much better. WOW - I can't believe how beautiful Daphne looks - and it's just in sketch mode. Can't wait to see her finished. Love your little commissioned boxes, as well. :) Theresa

    ReplyDelete